Thursday, October 05, 2006

Fallen Off the Planet

We're having probs with our computers again. YES, BOTH of them.

The desktop hasn't been right since last year. Then a tech guy finally came to the house and replaced half it's guts and made it work. (This is the same tech guy who thought it important to tell us about the collection of b&w old-fashioned nudie pics he collected... yeah, cue that gag reflex!) But the machine is up to it's old tricks again.. can't even keep it up and running long enough to run the recovery disks. It shuts and restarts endlessly, even after wiping the whole thing.

So we're back in that cycle that a warranty purchase will doom you to; The calls to the help centers cost money and take nearly an hour before they get to you. Can't hang up, you're in a queue. Longest Lynne held on was for an an hour and 15 mins. The folks on the other end don't listen and don't read the notes to see what the last fucker recommended you try. Oh, plus they treat you like you're stupid...

The fine print says that the company has six weeks, from when you first call, to fix the problem. After that you can demand a new machine. We've got three weeks left to go.

Earlier this summer I threatened to take it outside and HEAVE it onto the pavement. Might have even tried pitching it from Jo's second story window.. if I could have been guaranteed to miss all the cars below. My story would be that we were taking it to the computer store for a checkup when, oops, I must have tripped.

It would have had to happen outside. First of all because I'm too angry about it to just do a little dropsie.. I want room to watch it SAIL. And second because if I let go in the house I'd surely damage the wood floors. We'd be picking splinters out of the cat for days...

Wish I'd just gone and done it. Lynne was worried they'd see right thru my tantrum and refuse to replace it. How satisfying would that have been though, huh?

I tell you what... no more buying the warranty for big PC's. We'll save that money for a new tower and enjoy the crunch of the old one when it touches down.

The laptop is probably okay.. it's the internet connection. MSM is being mean to me. I can get online with internet explorer, but don't have most of my favs. After the big pc is feeling better, and Lynne can use it for her homework, we might have to switch service providers. For me.. and so that the laptop isn't suddenly possesed with the inclination to fly.

6 comments:

nelle said...

I've always fantasied computer as boat anchor...

weird it does the reclycing restart. This is the song that never ends...

gone said...

I have some catching up to do, wanted to stop in and say hello. Hugs to you and Lynne - Sandra

gone said...

OK, sounds like you are both starting new jobs soon - sound exciting! I'll check back for updates...

Elle said...

MSM is bad, try Firefox xxx

Anonymous said...

You have the BEST sense of humor!

Farmer-n-the-Dell began giving me problems (my Dell OptiPlex). Farmer was 3 years old.

:)

Nony said...

Nelle; I LOVE the idea of sinking one! Back home, my particular version involved the Old Red Bridge! Already picturing it, aren't you?

kitty; Now, everytime I even THINK of the home pc's, I picture Bill Murray! Love that, btw *grin*

Sandra; Will be getting to the jobs soon, plan on it. It's good to see you :)

Elle; thanks hon, will defo add that to the list! (See my playin scouse, there?) LOL!!

Editor; Good to see you again, you're missed. You 'fell off the planet too'? LOL, your farmer-in-the-dell quip has me imagining computer death by Clydesdale!