Monday, May 05, 2008

Bank Holiday, YAY

Here in the month of May, we get two bank holidays. A three day weekend at both the beginning and the end of the month. YAAAY! There should be a three day weekend included in every month..

A few of Lou's sisters came by on Saturday. The weather was gorgeous and I was outside putting more stain on the fence. ( I think it's going to take about a bazillion coats to cover that awful orange color.. and btw, who decided orange is a realistic wood color? It's like being trapped inside a pumpkin out there) ANYways.. They're all sitting around the patio table as I stain and the youngest starts bugging us to go out to town with her. I didn't realize Lou was making that 'I dunno' face and I hollered, 'I might be tempted!'

Presto bingo, Sunday night we're heading to town. I didn't realize ALL the sisters were coming.. okay wait, one went to bingo instead.. but there were 6 of them there, counting my honey. I almost wanted to back out when I heard everyone was going.. because I thought that meant we'd be heading to the meat-market type clubs.

But we lucked out. We went to two clubs, both gay! YAAY! The first is my favorite, called the Lisbon. It's got some sort of historical designation, so when the club's decor is freshened, it's got to be the same colors.. the ceiling is mauve and gold, very ornate with raised design. The walls are a very dark wood, cosy and nice. http://www.realliverpool.com/company/332

One of the things I really like about a gay club is that I never feel underdressed in one. I had a butchy black T on, bootcut jeans and my doc martins. Lou was dressed similarly, a printed T and her caterpillar boots with boycut jeans. And we fit right in. I love looking at the definite style apparent when you find a large cluster of lesbians together. Lots of Bench logos, low slung jeans and cargo pants... sweet, spiky hair, tanktops (which they call vests here) and tatoos. mmmmm..

I could have stayed there all night. They had karaoke on, some awful singers.. but it sort of invites everyone in the bar to sing along, you know? And we did! The gay boys were singing along too, arms slung over eachother, hips swaying.

Lou and I arrived long before the rest of the sisters. We were stood waiting for seats to open up when we were invited to share a table with three other ladies. Wasn't that nice?

One of the women was looking at Lou like she'd eat her up then and there if given half a chance. (As IF!) Turns out that woman was looking for a gf. She'd been out since 4pm and it was nearing 10 so I have to tell myself she was probably tired.. BUT.. poor thing was a bit pitiful looking and a bit boring and I worry she'll be looking for this gf for a loooong time.

The other two were a couple. One drives a bus. She told us (when her gf went to the loo) that she really didn't love her gf but just kept taking her back each time they split. I was like, omg.. you're telling this to strangers? The gf, we later learn, lives on the same estate Lou's family grew up on, only about four houses down from their old place.

They asked where we live, where we're from and gawped when I said the US. It's awkward to tell people that we met on the internet. So cliche.. But folks seem impressed when they learn we've been together for 7 years.

After the Lisbon, we went to Chicago's, a few streets down, around the corner. Omg, I saw some guys fighting, and falling down in the middle of the street, in front of a BUS! The look on the driver's face was funny yet sad, like it was no big deal. It must happen a lot.

I have to tell you, town is crazy here. The scene at night is like nothing I could ever have imagined. The women are absolutely tarted out.. the slinkiest nothing-est, clothes. Like stuff a girl might wear to a New Years Eve party.. to a venue she knows she'll be safe. Everyone gets off-their-faces drunk, staggering all over the street, heels tipping over uneven sidewalks. The men get so drunk they turn belligerent, wanting to fight anything and everyone. They pee in doorways. There are so many people on the street that the cars can barely move and it looks like an outdoor party. It's almost fun but sort of frightening.

Chicago's is another gay bar. They've got the loud club music going in there *thump thump thump, endlessly thump* no lighting but swiveling colored spotlights through manufactured fog. No place to sit (how old do I sound?). But we stayed for a drink.. and a shot of sambuco. Danced, waved our arms, took crazy pictures.. anyone's picture taken near me ended up with rabbit-ears heh heh heh..

After that bar Loubie and I were done. The rest of the girls headed first for Navy's but the line was too long. So they went to Superstar Boudoir. We called a cab and wondered if there was a chippy close enough that we could get a bite before the cab arrived. I was doubtful and good thing too, the guy only took about 15 minutes.

Taxi drivers are crazy but we got home alive. My head hurt this morning, which I don't understand. Besides the shot of sambuco, I only had three pints of beer. But I got up when I woke, threw a couple of ibuprofin in me and am feeling better, thank you.

And we still have all day today to play too. YAAAYYY


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:) you are funny about the woman in the bar looking for a gf. that would probably be something like me except i wouldn't be looking for a gf. i would be in the corner sitting alone freaking out on why i was there and how i was going to escape. lol

only been to one gay bar in my lifetime. didn't really enjoy it but i'm backwards, so it equals out. lol