Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Traditional Rudy


This is Rudy. He is my christmas tradition.


When my son was one year old, we travelled up from California to Seattle to spend the holidays with my family. My sister and her husband were living there with their little boy by then and it was the first time the kids had ever spent time in eachother's company. It was a little manic.


My memories are a bit sketchy, I was tired from the drive and the demands of the little one, so please forgive me if I can't be concise.. But, this Rudy appeared at Mom's and the decision was taken that he should go on the tree. We laughed and celebrated, congratulating ourselves on our fine decorating.


Years later and I have Rudy. THE Rudy? A Rudy.. I'm not sure. For a few years, we even had a mini Rudy too. But every year, from that time forward, whether the rest of the family remember or not, I make sure that Rudy goes on the tree. It's my tradition.


He reminds me of family. Of gathering together. My boy's first snowfall. My sister and her son. Her ex, my ex and all the hopes we had of living the Cleaver's life. My parents, giddy in their grandparent-hood. My old dog, a brilliant black lab named Missy who tolerated those curious, rambunctious boys.


I hope my children remember Rudy like Tookie's family remembers her father's snowman.

Merry Christmas and Happy Families to all.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! Traditions are all warm and fuzzy.

nelle said...

Memories are everything. Imagine our lives without them?

*hugs*