Thursday, April 16, 2009

Manchester?

Today the company finally coughed up the salary being offered for the jobs in Manchester. It's been a long three weeks speculating... but if successful, we'll get to keep our current salary, foregoing cost of living increases till we're all on par. This is not cool for the lady who's making £1000/yr less than some others.



Anyone who applies will have to go through an assessment day. Those things are rather harrowing, but I've been through two so I have an idea of what to expect.



They've also taken to heart all the employees who said they'd not apply because of the shift patterns the company wanted. They'd initially figured full time on a rolling rota of 9am to 5 pm and 5pm to 1 am shifts. Weekends included.



On my initial consultation I said I'd not apply because of the shifts. They asked if it wasn't shift work, would I reconsider? I felt like I was lying, never for a minute did I think they'd change their plans.. but I answered yes.



The new offering has 5 positions at 7am to 3pm and five at 9 am to 5 pm along with a few other weekends only and nights only. If I could get either of those day jobs, in spite of the role having been dumbed down (yet widened) .. the money is worth it, for me.



Anyone of us applying for the one job remaining in Liverpool will be graded on a matrix by our line manager and our Area Ops manager. Because the amount of time I've been in post and the shit training I don't feel as strong as three of my coworkers who will certainly apply. But I'm going to go for it anyway. I've managed to pump out prodigious amounts of work and it might stand me in good stead.



Manchester will suck because the M6 is not nice. BUT.. I hate looking for work and I'd have a hard time matching my salary locally. It's said it's better to be employed looking for a new job than to do it while unemployed.



And who knows, they've just opened the new office we're in now. It won't sit barely used forever. Perhaps when they figure out what they're doing with it, something will open up for me and I can come back.



This is me, reasoning with myself :)







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes and sending reiki your way...