Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Sometimes it's hard to know where to start.

Last week I passed the theory part of my drivers test. I got 35 out of 35 on the multiple choice part and 62 of 75 in the hazard perception. YAY :) The driving part of the test is already booked for early Jan, the soonest I could get it, they're so backed up.

And then there's my son. Remember, Surprise!!!, he got married in August, right after he completed Marine boot camp? He called me last weekend, absolutely in pieces - sobbing about how he'd made a huge mistake in joining up. He was threatening to run away, to go awol.

Which he did, for one day. The next day, new wife by his side, he turned himself in. The story gets really sketchy from here.. He was taken back to San Diego -ish and put in a hospital because of his depression, given zoloft.

I'm told, that because of his experience in a treatment center when he was younger, he shouldn't have ever been allowed in the Marines. Apparently, he's being given a general discharge... not honorable nor dishonorable, but general. I've never heard of one of those before.

Is he nuts? I don't know, but if he'd stayed in the service, feeling like that, he could have grown desperate enough to have done something really stupid.

Annnnd... Lynne reminded me of someone we know who MAY have exaggerated his depression enough to have been released from service over here. I told my son about this during the phone call.

Either way, he's safe.

My nerves are fried.

3 comments:

nelle said...

Your son isn't nuts. But watch the zoloft, that stuff is nothing to play with, and someone has to be paying attention.

When I was going through hell, my therapist wanted me to take anti-depressants. I resisted, but ultimately relented. My doc gave me a starter kit. Starter kit, with baby doses, that escalated from small to normal dose. I took the first one. In about an hour, was high as a kite. In two, was bouncing off walls, and totally wired. I never took another dose, yet... was like that for 3 whole flipping days.

We are all different in how we handle medicine, but.. there was a story on someone who committed suicide whilst taking the stuff, this in the Boston Globe. I wrote to the reporter, and she told me she was stunned at all of the feedback she was getting over the issue. That led to a closer look being taken at such things.

*hugs* to you and to him. He's faced so much, small wonder it is a bit much to manage.

As for your driving... theory? Oh, no, nony is going to be driving the space shuttle on the wrong side of the road. Will the UK ever be the same? (Just kidding.)

Sending ya good thoughts.

Nony said...

He was recommended anti-depressants during his first time in treatment. We talked about it and decided against it.

He's also told his wife he's not crazy, just doing this as a way out of the Marines. Will he continue taking the medicine once he's out of the hospital? I don't know. Don't imagine he has much choice while still in.

Maybe I'm the crazy one, but I'm glad this has happened. He's found a way to help his depression without doing himself physical harm.

*sigh*
~ thanks for the good thoughts

Anonymous said...

((((((Warm Hugs)))))) ..