Thursday, February 28, 2008

So Drunks Love Us... but Christians?

The minute I saw the billboard, I was filled with pride for my new home.

Facing the road from the back of a pub's carpark is the full-sized sign. With giant black letters on a blazing red background, it reads;
Some People are gay.
Get over it.

My heart swelled happily. Lou and I can have a civil union here. We're allowed kinship rights and all the other things married couples are granted. It doesn't feel like any big deal to be gay here.

Two seconds later came the dread conviction this billboard would not go unmolested. It sits unusually low to the ground, in a high traffic area... right outside that pub. I knew without a doubt it's pristine condition would not last for long.

Even the fact a group felt the need to place such a message says it's still needed, that this country isn't as completely accepting as I like to believe. I didn't want to see the response it would surely provoke.

I wish I had taken my camera, made a dork of myself and stopped to photograph the billboard. This morning, only a week later, my prediction has come true and I have missed my chance.

It wasn't as bad as it could have been. We all know the ugly things people could say to deface the message...

someone has written along the bottom,' What does god say?'

I AM sooooo tempted to take up vandalism for this one occasion. All morning long, I've pictured my own spray-painted handwriting added to the billboard.

Love one another
Judge NOT
Dog who?
Prove it!
Turn the other cheek (not the butt cheek) - Lou's contribution


and the least clever but most satisfying;
Fuck OFF!

What would you add?

5 comments:

Trop said...

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known (1 Corinthians 13: 12). what this means is, our knowledge now of what God says is but a poor reflection of what He says. Truth is still being revealed. We won't know what God says until we are face-to-face.

Anonymous said...

Well, I would most likely say nothing. I wish that I were as outspoken and witty as some but the reality is that I’m not. And there’s a solemn comfort in finally acknowledging what you aren’t and what you’ve always been.

The idea of the billboard is cool though. And it took more than one person to make that billboard happen.

I’m glad you are blogging again. I like your robust spirit.

Nony said...

LOL, Robust spirit? I think you might actually mean bitchy potty-mouth?

See, that's my joy in blogging, Shawny. I can be that person I hear in my head. The one who doesn't take any crap and lets her indignation all hang out.

IRL that's not me. The repercussions wouldn't be worth it so I don't even regret that there's a difference. I just carefully choose safe places to spout off :)

Anonymous said...

No, I definitely meant robust spirit. I don't think of you as "bitchy" because I know you are a caring person. Now when I think of "bitchy", I think of Ann Coulter.

What you typed makes sense totally. Sometimes I have trouble putting the person in my head on my blog though. LOL That's why you'll see a post disappear sometimes on my blog. I think sometimes I'm afraid of that person in my head. But that person is a part of me. You know, you have made me realize something...I think there are parts of me that I'm afraid to show. H'mmm...

Anyway, that person in your head is pretty cool. Take care and hugs.

nelle said...

SO much of what we do makes me ill; kitty litter and what she is facing, another friend of whom you have seen me speak having to live in the shadows.

Vent away! I've not visited regularly recently, dealing with my own issues, etc... but every time I come here, there is hope in the air, and you are living it! That counts for so much.

*hugs*