Wednesday, January 30, 2008

In Spite of Your Not Asking..

I'm going to tell you that I'm disallusioned as fuck about the elections already. Nope, I'm not going to go to the trouble of registering to vote from way over here, just can't see the point.

It feels like all those folks looking to be elected are too afraid to say what they really want to do, if they gain the presidency. They're either afraid of losing votes or being held to their word. Or they're afraid of losing the big money support. The Liberals (especially the ones in Congress) are just as much in bed with big business and preserving old money as the Republicans. Don't you think the Dems would have taken the 'mandate' of the last election when they took the House .. and used it to do something productive? Something earth-shaking? Hasn't happened, freaking chickens.

Will any of them stand up and say it's time the super-rich paid proper taxes? No, it seems everyone's bought the lie about trickle-down economics. Well, it's not trickling, it's evaporating. The jobs are being outsourced, CEO's are making hundreds of thousands of dollars more than ever before, including when they've failed and are given 'Golden Parachutes' on their way out. I should be so lucky, to fail so well!

Trade agreements? Used to think they'd be okay, perhaps raise the standard of the rest of the world. But it hasn't happened like that. You look carefully at all those oh-so-proud Social Responsibility Statements and they use disclaimers like 'within the regional norm' and other such bullshit. You can pretty much deduce that if the rest of the country doesn't pay any attention to workers or human rights, it's not going to be given much consideration in these companies we're now dealing with. Read 'No Logo' by Naomi Klein... it will piss you off, guaranteed.

Obama's all airy-fairy with 'hope' words, nothing concrete. Hillary used to be a Republican and I can't believe she's moved far from those roots. Bill needs to STFU because he's embarrassing the party even further.

And excuse me, but why hasn't congress begun impeachment proceedings yet? Yeah, I'm that mad. I know, I know Nelle, you say it's a distraction from their real job. But look, what real work have they been doing in there, rubberstamping everything W wants anyway? Why even put up a decent fight with the man if he's going to use his 'executive signing statements' to ignore the shit we manage to pass? It's TREASON, ignoring and overriding the rules that have been passed. You CANNOT call it anything else. Who the hell does he think he is?

I'll be back to this later, to refine and use better words. I'm too hot right now to put this together succinctly. Gah, even this rebate package meant to stimulate the ecomony.. crap crap crap. It'll be taxed as income while the cost of the war isn't even reflected on the books properly.

I need to stay away from AlterNet and Huffpo...

2 comments:

nelle said...

But how do you really feel? ;-)

I'm pretty disappointed in Congress, but very happy with my Rep. Hers was the first campaign I ever donated to, a former social worker who actually defied odds and made it to Congress. Probably more than anyone there, she knows social issues first hand.

And she has supported everything I support, including the inclusive ENDA bill that Barney Frank sold us out on (not going there.)

Beyond that, things are not good. IMO, they never should have passed additional war funding. When the president threatened his veto, Nancy should have told him that was the only bill he was going to get, there would be no more. At that point, his veto was no longer showmanship, knowing a new bill would be coming - it would have been explain to America why it is you vetoed funding for the troops.

Hang in there. I voted for Hillary, but it was not an easy vote to cast. Hillary is definitely right of me, but she also represents things I like as well... is very intelligent, and capable of leading. That 215 year old wall has to go somehow.

*hugs*

(and a beer)

Anonymous said...

I liked John Edwards. He really caught a lot of flack from Glenn Beck though. I sort of like Romney. I'm surprised McCain is now the GOP front runner. To me, McCain is like another Bush. I liked hearing Ron Paul speak too. But the ones I favor aren't the front runners except for Romney. The only reason I like Romney is because of his stance on illegal immigration. He's really though.