Saturday, July 19, 2008

That Tapping Noise..

Omg, where IS that noise coming from? Can you hear it? It's an insistent noise, a waiting sound, feigned patience.. OH wait. Hi Nelle! I didn't see you over there. How ya doing? *cheesy grin*

LOL! Sorry, just messing with ya. Here are the details of my new job, as requested;

This company is hired by the Dept of Justice. I will be working for the part of their operations who monitor parolees & probationers on tag. When an individual subject breaches their tagging order, operatives check out the circumstances and file a report at the office. My job, as a court co-ordinator, is to create a file of the breach for presentation at court. After a few months, I will also be trained to present in front of the judge myself.

I'll be working 40 hrs a week, no evenings or weekends. I'll get 5 wks paid vacation and 8 bank holidays a year. I can join a pension scheme. And there's plenty of scope for moving up within the company. My salary will be about £4500 a year more than it is currently!

My biggest worry is the public speaking aspect, however I know it's something I CAN do. It's just uncomfortable for me at the first few instances. Everything has a routine and as soon as I learn that routine and can become comfortable with it, standing in front of a man in a curly powdered wig and calling him 'Your Worship' will only induce paroxysms of laughter, not stage fright!

It astounds me that it took so long to get a decent job offer. For this job, one of the things I have on my favor is a spotless police record. Apparently the last few of their hires have had to be turned away for either lying about having a record on their application or having unspent convictions. I am SQUEAKY clean :)

I applied for this same job over a year ago with no luck.. and no feedback to say why. We wondered if it could have been my visa status, only temporary then. This time, Lou's brother-in-law who works there did a favor for me. I didn't see the job advertised and after the closing date, he wrangled permission for me to do a late application. I got invited to the assessment day and felt I made a good show of myself.

Later I got the letter saying someone else had done better, sorry blah blah blah. Then, out of the blue, the job's mine again, if I want it! The other lady, who I'd met and who seemed even more sweet and innocent than I could EVER have been, apparently lied on her application about a police record!

My first week of employment with them will be spent at an induction course.. about an hours' drive from home and too expensive, gas-wise, to commute. I'll be taking them up on their offer of a paid hotel room. I'll be suffering newbie-nerves AND Loubie-withdrawl at the same time!!!

3 comments:

nelle said...

Ha! Told ya so, told ya so, told ya so!

*sticks tongue out and makes a impish face*

Yanno, that sounds like a really interesting job, and think it well suited to you. Arguing you pov will come...

26 years ago, I sat down to write the first business letter ever crafted by my brain. It took 3 hours. By the end of my tenure as an insurance underwriter, that same letter would take maybe... 5 minutes.

With this work, first starting out takes someone forever to fish out information, then once they have that, write the case... a new adjudicator is expected to handle ten cases in a week. With 3 years experience, I wrote 23 the last 2 days.

With my goal to get to appeals, that changes everything. That requires conducting a hearing under oath, and it is all recorded *gulp.*

You can do this, and you will do it... well.

I'm thrilled for ya, Kim... even if I am being a brat. ;-)

BTW, if your work ever involves DV and a need for info, I know the head of the Greater London Domestic Violence Project, and can assist you in establishing contact.

Guess I'll have a celebratory beer or margarita for ya tonight.

Trop said...

Well done! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Wow that's quite a vacation package you have. Congrats! :)