Sunday, August 03, 2008

Other Side of the Coin







Since the minute we first walked through this house, we knew the place was begging for decks out the kitchen and livingroom doors. Grown-up play spaces, entertainment areas, chillin space. In all honesty, I figured the cost was going to be huge and that we'd be waiting for a few years before these decks could happen.
Daydreaming and looking for creative input, I started hunting around online for deck building plans. I watched Tommy Walsh on Ground Force create them in every imaginable shape, on all sorts of terrain and gradually an idea grew.
We could build it ourselves. Lou and I discussed how to support it, how to provide access to the plumbing and drains underneath, should it have a railing etc... Belief in ourselves grew.
My family's visit was about a month away when Loubie said, 'Let's take our measurements to the lumber yards and price out the materials.' I should know by now, with Lou that means we're buying it! Today.
All in all the men were very helpful. They told us how close to space the supports, how best to order the lengths to get the best cost and have the deck be made of whole lengths instead of pieces. They were a bit petulant about the surface, saying that we HAD to have this slotted side up in order for the rainwater to drain off. Safety and all that..
Now, I've stood on those slotted pieces barefoot and they hurt. The slots actually catch crap, making the deck untidy and promoting decay. I knew that with the right gaps between the boards, the water will run off AND.. if we can build perfectly nice decks with treated 2X4's in the US, it can be done HERE! We whispered to eachother, 'We'll just turn the pieces over, use them smooth-side up.' £400 later we were off to await delivery.
The project had to wait a week while I flew to Seattle but when I got back, the weather had turned in our favor! It took us just two days to complete. We didn't get any pictures that include the cross-braces, but don't worry, they're in there. You can see our Project Supervisor, Rizzo checking out our work. A few weeks later we made the removable covers for the drains. There's work left to do yet, in building a box/seat to cover the last big drain, but that'll need another materials run.
Three weeks later, we bought a gorgeous patio set. Display model, we got it for half price!
We spent loads of time out there when my family visited. The space feels exactly like we imagined.. happy and casual.
It's not too silly to call it a dream come true. :)
(and again.. why does this program eff up my paragraphs when I use photos? If you know how to fix this, could someone please let me know?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so VERY impressed!!!!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I've built my share of decks along the way, and it looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Looks relaxing.