Thursday, June 04, 2009

annnnd Relaxxxxx

I was speaking with the lovely Loubie earlier and told her it's a wonder I haven't exploded with the pressure of this last month! Aside from a secret sob and a bit of creative but careful bitching, I've been such a good girl, a proper grown-up!

There's huge changes afoot at work, I believe I told you about it not too long ago. I went through an assessment for the one position to remain in branch in Liverpool... the day before I left for the states. The weekend before was spent studying up for the competency-based interview. The cat must have thought I was mad, I spent most of the time stalking around, talking to myself!

Then, jetting off to Montana. Missed the last flight but only had to wait an hour and a half for the next one. Whirlwind craziness while there! The kids are gorgeous.. my son has only recently moved into a place with his gf. I spoiled him (like I did his sis last year) on my last day there by trotting him through Target and filling a trolley with all sort of things we thought he'd need. We hit the road the day after I landed, travelling about 7 hrs to visit my parents. My sis and her son met us there. We had baking sun on Mom & Dad's deck, good conversation, fantastic food, had the firepit roaring at night and a waterballoon fight one afternoon! My daughter and her bf are doing really well and it please me to no end.

Found out I hadn't gotten the one position near the end of the trip. (I'd told them they could email me with my result so they wouldn't have to make my colleagues wait for their results.) Failing that, I knew it meant I'd have to apply for a Manchester position. Another assessment day, just a week after I got back. I had loads of the interview stuff from the previous time, but had to study the person spec again and tailor a few bits. More stalking about, talking to myself.

I didn't want the job in Manchester. I don't want the drive, or the traffic. To avoid the worst of the motorways mess, I applied for the early shift, 7 to 3. Do you know what time I'll be getting up to do that? ugh. So I was wishing they wouldn't give me what I wanted, that they'd offer the 9 to 4 shift and I could turn them down. I even told Lou that I'd considered.. if offered the shift I want, of turning it down anyway cos I'm just so pissed off about it all and tired of the stress... and lying to her saying I didn't get what I wanted.

In the end, I got the shift. And I was a big girl, responsible.. and accepted. Someone's gotta feed the cat, right?

Then, a sis-in-law found another job advert, really close to home. As there were two roles being offered, she shared it with me. So I've spent the last few days putting together another huge application to have in the post by last night! Today is the first time in ages that I've been able to sit at the computer and just surf about!

Yes, there IS a large glass of wine sitting beside the keyboard. Do you blame me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"creative but careful bitching" - :) I'll have to try that sometime.