Sunday, May 30, 2010

Deepwater and Devon

Devon Energy, based in Oklahoma, was the previous leaseholder of the Deepwater Oil Rig, currently spewing an estimated 220,000 to 588,000 gallons of oil a day into the Gulf of Mexico. They sold the lease to BP in early March of this year as part of a restructuring of their assets.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-medred/gulf-oil-spill-the-techno_b_594532.html

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=67097&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1401364&highlight=

Should our federal prosecutors be issuing subpoenas to them, in addition to BP and Transocean Ltd, the drilling rig owner? I wonder if Devon had any idea of the potential problems with this rig? The question should be asked.

Has this recent change of ownership been talked about much in the US? Is it easier to feel victims to a foreign owned company? I suppose BP's deep pockets would always be where we want to park the blame anyway..

When I went looking on the Devon website, looking for owners/Board of Director's names, I first found this;

'Any person who uses, or makes decisions upon, information contained in Devon's web site does so at their own risk and agrees to hold Devon Energy Corporation harmless. Devon Energy Corporation and its employees and representatives further expressly disclaim all liability from any costs, damages or consequences of any type that may result from the reliance on the information obtained from this Internet Web site or any Internet Web site hereto linked.
I AGREE'

You have to click 'I Agree' to enter! I just couldn't so never went any further. But is this disclaimer normal? Does it seems just a tad too defensive to anyone else?

Additionally, from that same news release by Devon, we see this; The company also announced that Devon and BP will form a heavy oil joint venture to develop BP's Kirby oil sands leases in Alberta, Canada.

upstream from by beloved Montana...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There was a BP station I visited every time I needed gas. Now I cannot bring myself to get gas there. When I see the BP sign, I automatically think of sea life and birds suffering and dying. I'm certain that others are involved besides BP but now that's my image of BP.

I was not against drilling just as I was not against any kind of energy that would bring the U.S. to energy independence. We truly need to stop relying on these countries that hate us. I drive an 11-year old car. I can't afford a $30,000 electric car because that's priced higher than what I earn in a year's time. So there will be people like me who have to drive cars that require gas for quite some time I'm sure, which was why I favored drilling.

This spill scares me though in more ways than one. It scares me that it has been flowing for 40 days now. It scares me that we cannot stop it. It scares me for the people living around the gulf states. It scares me about what type of impact this will have in years to come.

I'm against companies getting a pass to not upgrade equipment. I'm against there not being enough regulations to force companies to spend money on safety measures. This includes all companies not just BP. I'm against lining politician's pockets with money to slide by. I honesty think this disaster could have been prevented.

I'm not a big fan of the media either. I'm sure there's much more than we are being told about this situation and that scares me too.

I only fill my car up with gas every two weeks. So I'm certain BP will not notice that I'm taking my business elsewhere. (I drive a 4-cylinder that's great on gas) But to buy BP gas again I don't see myself doing it though I know BP is not alone in this horrible disaster.

Nice post.